Using the Q is cheating?

What do you like about what's going on at Circus-Maximus.com? Or, if you're the whiny type, tell us what stinks! We may not fix it, but we'll listen...

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

User avatar
Aleortu
Posts: 106
Contact:

Using the Q is cheating?

Post#1 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:49 am

I am reading old threads all the time and I found this:
http://www.circus-maximus.com/forums/vi ... 371&t=5171
(The ending of Invasion 2 game)

It seems the Privateer was winning and he decided to play one turn, then let the Q play 3 turns and then play the next to avoid being dropped.
Since it was done at the latter stages of the game it seems his intention was only to avoid being dropped because he lost interest in the game.

My question is if that is cheating or it depends on every particular case. It is not listed in the cheating list (like the queue stuffing) and I don't think the Q can help the developing of your empire around turn 30, but it may be annoying for the rivals around turn 80.
Ale Ortu
from far away planet Argentina
My races are Birds and Colonials.

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Re: Using the Q is cheating?

Post#2 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:52 am

Not sure what his idea was as he never responded to my inquiry.
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
Captain Blood
Posts: 294

Re: Using the Q is cheating?

Post#3 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:28 pm

No idea about actual game mentioned.

Using the Q to cheat is not a good idea it make no sense trying, you might win 1 situation and loose 5 others due to it playing poorly. (It might also recycle ships it don´t see the use for.)

The Q can tow and intercept cloaked ships, and use a few other tricks to try to come up with a little resistance, but an average player is a much harder opponent.

I believe it is documented somewhere on CM how the Q is programmed to play.
Regards,

Captain Blood

User avatar
casebolt
Posts: 1589

Re: Using the Q is cheating?

Post#4 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:21 pm

When one turns race over to the Q can that one even get the race back? Anyone that is leading the game may be able to miss turns and get away with it but missing turns and Q ownership is less than serious gameplay.

User avatar
Aleortu
Posts: 106
Contact:

Re: Using the Q is cheating?

Post#5 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:07 pm

casebolt wrote:When one turns race over to the Q can that one even get the race back? Anyone that is leading the game may be able to miss turns and get away with it but missing turns and Q ownership is less than serious gameplay.
You can activate the holliday mode, the Q and you figure as the same player like a team. If you send your turn this is the good one, if not, the Q makes the turn. I think you can use this feature for a few turns and then you must come back because the countdown to kick you off starts (4 turns and you're out).
Ale Ortu
from far away planet Argentina
My races are Birds and Colonials.

User avatar
casebolt
Posts: 1589

Re: Using the Q is cheating?

Post#6 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:30 pm

I did not know that and see your concern, seems that the Q is able to use teleport in minerals/cash/fuel In a current game the Q took a Planet from me 5-6 turns ago where I just took it back and was amazed that it had over 4,000 mcs should have only been max around 500 mcs. Not sure if a cloaked ship brought acnd dumped the cash or it used a teleport function (non star base Planet) or it just conjured it out of thin air/ Cheat.

User avatar
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4940
Contact:

Re: Using the Q is cheating?

Post#7 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:17 pm

I don't think Q knows about teleport. Either a cloaked ship or more likely, a Q cheat. Spacelord is a far better c-player.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Re: Using the Q is cheating?

Post#8 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:44 am

casebolt wrote:I did not know that and see your concern, seems that the Q is able to use teleport in minerals/cash/fuel In a current game the Q took a Planet from me 5-6 turns ago where I just took it back and was amazed that it had over 4,000 mcs should have only been max around 500 mcs. Not sure if a cloaked ship brought acnd dumped the cash or it used a teleport function (non star base Planet) or it just conjured it out of thin air/ Cheat.
The Q created the cash. It also creates fuel on ships with low or no fuel.

The Q knows all.
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
Aleortu
Posts: 106
Contact:

Re: Using the Q is cheating?

Post#9 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:05 am

Now the question should be:

If I let the Q to play a few turns for me, will I find my planets with more money, minerals, clans, and my ships with fuel? I think it's a gamble, you can't bet your game in the dice.
Ale Ortu
from far away planet Argentina
My races are Birds and Colonials.

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Re: Using the Q is cheating?

Post#10 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:09 pm

Aleortu wrote:Now the question should be:

If I let the Q to play a few turns for me, will I find my planets with more money, minerals, clans, and my ships with fuel? I think it's a gamble, you can't bet your game in the dice.
No. You'll find your empire in disarray because it has it's own limited agenda.
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
Aleortu
Posts: 106
Contact:

Re: Using the Q is cheating?

Post#11 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:38 am

Conclusion:

You can't expect the Q to play better than an average or even inexpert human player.
So, the Privateer in Invasion 2 game was only waiting to the end of game, playing one turn each 4 to avoid being demoted and he was sure the Q had no chances to destroy his score because he had already a lot of advantage on the other players score.

It was not cheating, just a way to avoid the "waste" of time to make the turn at home twice a week.
Lazy guy :roll:
Ale Ortu
from far away planet Argentina
My races are Birds and Colonials.

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Re: Using the Q is cheating?

Post#12 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:33 pm

Aleortu wrote:Conclusion:

You can't expect the Q to play better than an average or even inexpert human player.
So, the Privateer in Invasion 2 game was only waiting to the end of game, playing one turn each 4 to avoid being demoted and he was sure the Q had no chances to destroy his score because he had already a lot of advantage on the other players score.

It was not cheating, just a way to avoid the "waste" of time to make the turn at home twice a week.
Lazy guy :roll:
Here's a good test over on an old abandoned VGAP site that was done years ago. The site was called Hyperspace. It's pretty comprehensive and covers just about all of the VGAP cplayers that are avaialble.

Computer Player Test
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Comments About Circus-Maximus.com”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron