WinPlan32 in W7/W10

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Kid Khan

WinPlan32 in W7/W10

Post#1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:58 pm

For now I've been running the old WinPlan in different VMs, desktop and netbook, both 64-bit W10/W7 with VMs and XP running in those. I tried a few times before to install WinPlan32 in 64-bit environment, but always failed due to weird error messages about missing dlls. I saw a few hits for that problem here in the forums as well, but not a real to solution to it, other than friendly ppl sending a particular version by mail or something like that.

I tried again today, cause you'll never know, may be Bitmask addressed that problem meanwhile in the code. Well, it still happened. So, with a little help from friend Google, this solution came up (@Bitmask: may be this should be part of the installer? Edit: Perhaps at least save the dll and put it up on this site, who knows how long the link will be valid)

If you encounter an error like this after installing WinPlan32 on your 64-bit OS:

"Run Time Error 713: Class not registered. You need the following file to be installed on your machine. MSSTDFMT.DLL"

Do the following

1) Download msstdfmt.dll, version 6.00.84506, from this site.

2) Its a zip-file. Extract the content to the c:\windows\syswow64 folder (if indeed 64-bit OS, otherwise to c:\windows\system32)

3) Search and locate "cmd.exe" in windows. Open it - and this is important - with administrator privileges (rightclick -> "as admistrator"). If you fail to do so, the next step will show an error message.

4) In the command prompt type
regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\msstdfmt.dll (replace "syswow64" with "system32" on 32-bit)

There you go, now you - finally - can play without VM on 64-Bit.
Thanks, Bitmask, you did a fantastic job!

Anybody has an idea how to get VPA running without VM and adjusting the hosts screen resolution when in windowed mode? Anyone care for a 32/64-bit windows conversion for VPA?

streu

Re: WinPlan32 in W7/W10

Post#2 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:45 am

Kid Khan wrote:Anybody has an idea how to get VPA running without VM and adjusting the hosts screen resolution when in windowed mode? Anyone care for a 32/64-bit windows conversion for VPA?
There is no way to run VPA without a VM (considering that DOSBOX is a VM).

A 32-bit conversion would be a rewrite because VPA is doing things that DOS programs can do, but 32-/64-bit programs cannot. You probably heard me saying this a few times already, but I want PCC2 be able to step in as a 32-/64-bit VPA someday. Maybe it's already good enough for you.

--Stefan

Return to “Scuttlebutt”