New ship list discussion

Post here if you are interested in the balancing of the Tim branded shiplist

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Trillian

Post#16 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:42 pm

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:I wrote a long, detailed reply to this and before I posted it the power clicked off and it went away. *poof* ](*,)

That power outage was entirely MY fault. I ran too many appliances on the same fuse while he was AFK. Sorry :oops:
Trillian

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#17 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:48 pm

Trillian wrote:
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:I wrote a long, detailed reply to this and before I posted it the power clicked off and it went away. *poof* ](*,)

That power outage was entirely MY fault. I ran too many appliances on the same fuse while he was AFK. Sorry :oops:

So many things run through my mind right now...

I'll just be silent.
Best Regards,

Joe

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#18 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:50 pm

Sysop wrote:
Trillian wrote:

I'll just be silent.

"That doesn't plug in! That's battery operated!"
8)

FLETCH

Post#19 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:09 pm

A battery operated hair dryer!! :shock: Wow what will they think of next??

:D :D
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#20 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:11 pm

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Sysop wrote:
Trillian wrote:

I'll just be silent.

"That doesn't plug in! That's battery operated!"
8)

Nope, that's not it. Not even close...
Best Regards,

Joe

FLETCH

Post#21 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:17 pm

Hmmm...

As a red blooded AUSSIE male I can't think of another personal appliance a woman could possibly need... 8) :wink:
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

hennef

Post#22 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:00 pm

Sysop wrote:
Trillian wrote:

I'll just be silent.

ROFL
have fun!

hennef

hennef

Post#23 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:06 pm

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
hennef wrote:the colonials do not need more carriers. they already have 5! 2 are good at fighting, 2 are good a building fighters, one is rubbish. compare that to the rebels: they lack the rubbish-ship. compared to the robots: you have 7 carriers. 3 for war, 2 as toys for fighter-building, 2 for not building. it is not that different. especially when you take all the assisting ships into account. the CoM have lots of useful ships, like the cobol. the rebel has falcons and both have the cygnus. the robot has only one more ship: the cat!

so, if the CoM would get another carrier, the rebel must get that one too AND the robot must get another torper.

if anyone deserves a better fighter-carrier, it would be the empire. give the cruiser another fighter-bay. thats it and go!

I wrote a long, detailed reply to this and before I posted it the power clicked off and it went away. *poof* ](*,)

I'm not re-writing it.

Anyway, the point of my post was that the ship list should reflect the original fiction for each race, and that the point of changing the ship list is that there at least 50% of every race's ships are just junk. The only thing the trash ships accomplish is to confuse new players and annoy them because they don't know not to build these ships. Is that a good plan for the future of the game? Annoy and frustrate new players by "tricking" them into building ships that are a waste of time? I kinda think it isn't a real good plan.

i agree, that there are many of those confusing good-on-first-sight-ships but what game does not have them? ;) maybe it wouldn´t be a bad idea to first eliminate all stupid nonsense ships off the list and then disscuss, if there are any new ships "needed" for that particular race.

i like the idea of creating a new list via this forum....

is there a simple tool or method to create one that everybody can view and make changes to?
have fun!

hennef

Sysop
Site Admin

Ships and Races

Post#24 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:52 pm

Personally I would like to see some new blood in this game.

By that I mean new Races.

There are so many to choose from. You got God only knows how many you could pull from Star Trek, more from Star Wars, and the other properties out there... Starblazers, Wing Commander...etc...

Something to ponder for the Scenario Design Contest this year.
Best Regards,

Joe

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Re: Ships and Races

Post#25 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:26 am

Sysop wrote:Personally I would like to see some new blood in this game.

There are so many to choose from. You got God only knows how many you could pull from Star Trek, more from Star Wars, and the other properties out there... Starblazers, Wing Commander...etc...

The Kzinti from the Ringworld novels by Larry Niven. Great books. Great species. Implemented like they are in Starfleet Battles (anybody remember that old boardgame?)

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#26 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:28 am

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

The Kzinti from the Ringworld novels by Larry Niven. Great books. Great species. Implemented like they are in Starfleet Battles (anybody remember that old boardgame?)

The Kilrathi (Cat people for those of ya who don't know them) from Wing Commander one ones I'd really like to see. Klauser and I have talked about it and may actually get that done one of these days.
Best Regards,

Joe

hennef

Post#27 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:35 am

uh uh uh, take "Homeworld".... with the big mothership being able to actually built ships itself. that would be soo cool :roll: :wink:
have fun!

hennef

hennef

Post#28 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:43 am

he, the kilrathi would be cool too 8)

how about the klakons from MoO. they are insectoids. their lack: they donßt have individual ship-designs #-o

uh the more i think about, the more gets into my mind....

but after Klauser made a cool Star-treck setting, i try to avoid that direction completely. but the only great tv/movie-thing with a great amount of various ship-types is babylonV as far as my mind welters.
have fun!

hennef

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#29 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:56 pm

hennef wrote:he, the kilrathi would be cool too 8)

how about the klakons from MoO. they are insectoids. their lack: they donßt have individual ship-designs #-o

uh the more i think about, the more gets into my mind....

but after Klauser made a cool Star-treck setting, i try to avoid that direction completely. but the only great tv/movie-thing with a great amount of various ship-types is babylonV as far as my mind welters.

Yeah the Klakkon's are an idea.. They had a clone of the Kilrathi as well called the Marshan... something close to that... You know MOO is the game that Microprose accused Tim of copying and took him to court over back in the early 90's. They said he copied MOO etc for VGAP. Tim won as he game came out like 2 years prior.
Best Regards,

Joe

darkdimensions

Post#30 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:11 pm

WHy dont u hold a ShipList design contest as well. You could include your new races with new ships. i know with PENGUIN you can switch ship abilities, etc Hyperships with fighter bays, or cloaking cubes, or even drastically change ship hull specs...

ARE THERE ANY OTHER programs for editing/redesigning the shiplist/race DAT files? Better than PENGUIN, more features?

Return to “Project 1: Fixing Tim's List”