Did you play VGAP4?

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Poll: Did you play VGAP4?

Yes, frequently, its the way better game!
No votes
Yes, occasionally, its a different game though, so worth your time playing both.
No votes
Yes, once, but I don't like it, because...
25%
No, but I will soon. Got the manuals under my pillow at night... for 2 years now.
6%
No, one addiction is all a marriage can stand.
44%
No, I wont. I'm just too weary to learn and I can't get used to anything but DOS computers.
25%
Total votes: 16

Kid Khan

Did you play VGAP4?

Post#1 » Fri May 05, 2006 7:12 pm

Its strange, somehow I'm trying again every half a year or so. Getting me the manuals, installing it again, setting it up. It looks pretty, but I get confused after just a few minutes. Complexity in strategy games is a good thing, but I cant help but think its overdone in VGAP4. If I try to imagine the effort to put in compared to what time I invested for VGAP3, I find myself quickly shutting it down again to have the little bit of life, that is still left of the day. It feels intimidating. But one day... one day... one day... one day... uhmm.. what was I going to say?

FLETCH

Post#2 » Fri May 05, 2006 7:30 pm

My wife would kill me.......... :(

enough said.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Gilgamesh

Post#3 » Fri May 05, 2006 10:14 pm

Hi Khan.

Like you I tried it a couple of times. Unlike you I have no interest or desire to try it again. I'll be sticking with version 3.

Cheers

Gilgamesh
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

hennef

Post#4 » Sat May 06, 2006 6:36 am

i looked at the scematics and stuff several times, but i think it is just too much. like "master of orion 3"! and like khan said, complexity - good! too much of it - BAD!
have fun!

hennef

Proteus

Post#5 » Sat May 06, 2006 6:04 pm

Unlike a lot of games that I have and used to play, VGAP 3 doesn't age.

Sometimes it may get boring .... so I leave for a while and then later I select another race and the magic is back.

I find it so .......... intoxicating .... crushing empires, shattering player's egos ..... watching vcr's of enemy ships turning to space dust .... and ..... yes ..... the satisfaction of knowing your ruthlessness resulted in the genocide of a race. :shock:

Makes you feel kinda like uncle Joe Stalin.

Yeah .... like you never laughed with glee watching a homeworld die under tha assault of your fleet .... 8)

Cherek

Post#6 » Sat May 06, 2006 9:03 pm

Ditto with what Kid Kahn and FLETCH said.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Proteus

Post#7 » Sat May 06, 2006 9:14 pm

Ditto? .... DITTO? ... that's it?

That is all you could say? :?

Cherek! ... Fletch didn't say anything!

.... Kid Kahn ..... he was intimidated :shock:

..... please .... tell us what you think ....... :D

Klauser

Post#8 » Sat May 06, 2006 9:27 pm

My reaction is very similar to Gilgamesh's. I tried it out when Tim first released it in Beta years ago. What a micromanagement disaster.

It put me in mind of an experience I had back in the late 70's/early 80's. I was a SPI/AH wargamer back then - but was also a full time college student with a serious girl friend. I wouldn't play a game I couldn't start up and finish in a couple of days 'cause that's all the time I had. Anyway, my cousin Dan, a SERIOUS grognard, got ahold of SPI's War In The East and War In The West and spent all summer long in his parents basement recreating WWII at what looked like the division level. It was real heady stuff, and a helluva simulation. But it wasn't a game - and after a couple of days it damn sure wasn't entertaining.

That's what came to mind when I started in on VGAP4. Lotsa dials and chrome, but it wasn't a game and it wasn't entertaining.

Like Proteus said ... I'll stick with VGAP3.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Cherek

Post#9 » Sat May 06, 2006 9:51 pm

VGA Planets 4 is way too complicated. In my opinion, it sounds like he trying to make it like a cross between StarFleet Battles (I miss playing the Lyrans) and Civilization. With StarFleet Battles, it seemed like every three months or so the rules would change, a new weapon or defense technique was created or ship function was added or changed. When a game becomes too complicated, it stops being fun.

How long has Version 4 been testing? Yes, technically version 3 is still being tested. At least Tim has stopped adding things to version 3 except when someone reports a major bug, has he done that with version 4?

Recently, a friend gave me WarCraft Battle Chest CDs. My wife went through the roof because she thought it was WOW. She went on and on about all the games I’m in now, and now I’m looking at getting involved in an on-line game. After awhile, I told her it was the CD version not the on line version, she still wasn’t too happy about it. I can imagine what she would if I stared playing a complicated game like version 4.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#10 » Sun May 07, 2006 12:43 am

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:VGA Planets 4 is way too complicated. In my opinion, it sounds like he trying to make it like a cross between StarFleet Battles (I miss playing the Lyrans) and Civilization. With StarFleet Battles, it seemed like every three months or so the rules would change, a new weapon or defense technique was created or ship function was added or changed. When a game becomes too complicated, it stops being fun.

How long has Version 4 been testing? Yes, technically version 3 is still being tested. At least Tim has stopped adding things to version 3 except when someone reports a major bug, has he done that with version 4?

Recently, a friend gave me WarCraft Battle Chest CDs. My wife went through the roof because she thought it was WOW. She went on and on about all the games I’m in now, and now I’m looking at getting involved in an on-line game. After awhile, I told her it was the CD version not the on line version, she still wasn’t too happy about it. I can imagine what she would if I stared playing a complicated game like version 4.

I think version 4 has been beta testing since 96 or 97. I've got the original Beta floppy's myself. 3 of them. Couldn't make heads or tales of it. I remember DF saying over and over... What the Y)(@@*)(%@#@ is the Hammer and Anvil for... Like I saw in one of the other posts. I haven't bothered to touch it again either.
Regards,
][avok

Klauser

Post#11 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:18 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:VGA Planets 4 is way too complicated. In my opinion, it sounds like he trying to make it like a cross between StarFleet Battles (I miss playing the Lyrans) and Civilization. With StarFleet Battles, it seemed like every three months or so the rules would change, a new weapon or defense technique was created or ship function was added or changed. When a game becomes too complicated, it stops being fun.

Slightly off topic, but if you really start jones-ing for a SFB fix, we can ask ][avok to start up a game using my SFB shiplist. Yes, the Lyrans are in there and I got all your puddy-tat ships - with camo graphics - included.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Havok
Site Admin

Post#12 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:43 pm

Klauser wrote:

Slightly off topic, but if you really start jones-ing for a SFB fix, we can ask ][avok to start up a game using my SFB shiplist. Yes, the Lyrans are in there and I got all your puddy-tat ships - with camo graphics - included.

Maybe an idea for the next set of games.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#13 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:53 pm

At 7 seven games, I'm WAY past my game playing limit. If you do a game like that, keep a copy of, I'll be wanting to play when I get back down to 4 or five games.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#14 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:59 pm

As far as Jone-ing SFB, I was making a comparision between it and version 4. In my opinion, SFB was another great game that the creators kept adding and adding to it until it became too complicated to be anymore fun.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#15 » Sun May 07, 2006 11:12 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:At 7 seven games, I'm WAY past my game playing limit. If you do a game like that, keep a copy of, I'll be wanting to play when I get back down to 4 or five games.

I keep a copy of all games.

In fact, another game that I'm going to run somewhere down the line is another edition of Ed's "All the Marbles" game. That was very promising one that had some problems with the transition over to CM. But it had a really good premise.
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Scuttlebutt”