Did you play VGAP4?

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Poll: Did you play VGAP4?

Yes, frequently, its the way better game!
No votes
Yes, occasionally, its a different game though, so worth your time playing both.
No votes
Yes, once, but I don't like it, because...
25%
No, but I will soon. Got the manuals under my pillow at night... for 2 years now.
6%
No, one addiction is all a marriage can stand.
44%
No, I wont. I'm just too weary to learn and I can't get used to anything but DOS computers.
25%
Total votes: 16

Klauser

Post#16 » Mon May 08, 2006 3:51 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:As far as Jone-ing SFB, I was making a comparision between it and version 4. In my opinion, SFB was another great game that the creators kept adding and adding to it until it became too complicated to be anymore fun.

I have to agree with you about SFB as a game. I tried the game out in the late 70's and it was fun, although a bit hairy on all the power management you had to do. When I was doing my research for SFB several years ago I tried it out again ... jeez what a mess. More a simulation than a game.

I was much more satisfied with the Star Fleet Command take on SFB. You still have to manage your power, but you best better do it fast or that Gorn with the Plasma's is gonna hand you your butt ;)
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Rimstalker

Post#17 » Tue May 09, 2006 9:48 am

I had a look at the _very_ first beta, but hated the hammer-anvil thing and some later exploits of exorbitantly powerful combinations of race advantages destroyed every slight bit of interest that might have had remained.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Proteus

Post#18 » Tue May 09, 2006 10:43 pm

Back in my BBS days there was a game called TW2002 ( a space trading/combat game) and it was great, but with the internet it grew and became more complex, til it evolved into something that wasn't fun.

I was introduced to VGAP3 at the same time the internet started to grow. Being fairly basic, it wasn't hard to learn the "rules" and get involved very quickly. Because the learning curve wasn't too steep it was fun and the challenges came in playing the different races.

VGAP4 has lost that basic element in keeping it simple enough to grasp the concepts, but challenging without being difficult.

A sequel is rarely as good as the original, because they try to pack too many goodies in to please everyone and don't remember what made it so popular originally.

Cherek

Post#19 » Tue May 09, 2006 11:11 pm

So it made it all the way to TW2002, I remember when it was called just Trade Wars. You right about sequels though, it's like the movies, the first one is great so automatically there are two sequel planned and when they come, there just not as good as the first one.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#20 » Tue May 09, 2006 11:30 pm

Proteus wrote:Back in my BBS days there was a game called TW2002 ( a space trading/combat game) and it was great, but with the internet it grew and became more complex, til it evolved into something that wasn't fun.

I was introduced to VGAP3 at the same time the internet started to grow. Being fairly basic, it wasn't hard to learn the "rules" and get involved very quickly. Because the learning curve wasn't too steep it was fun and the challenges came in playing the different races.

VGAP4 has lost that basic element in keeping it simple enough to grasp the concepts, but challenging without being difficult.

A sequel is rarely as good as the original, because they try to pack too many goodies in to please everyone and don't remember what made it so popular originally.

JUST SAY TRADE WARS DAMNIT!!!! :lol:
Regards,
][avok

Proteus

Post#21 » Wed May 10, 2006 7:15 am

Well it was called Trade Wars.

The best version was TW2002 v3.0d, because it had the fewest bugs. It later blossomed with a gizzalion addons, etc until it mutated into something else.

Aleortu

Re: Did you play VGAP4?

Post#22 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Never played and I'm not interesed in trying VGAP4, I still have a lot to learn in VGA Planets 3, it is an infinite game for me, I'll keep playing until all of you pass away (or me if I don't quit smoking).
Ale Ortu
from far away planet Argentina
My races are Birds and Colonials.

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Did you play VGAP4?

Post#23 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:28 pm

VGAP 4 was a pipe dream. It reached to far and fell to short.... That's why it never left beta and was eventually scraped.
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Scuttlebutt”