Daily Planet - Movie Maker

This is a host addon & player utility package for making game movies & news.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok, warpedboard

warpedboard

Daily Planet - Movie Maker

Post#1 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:25 pm

I'm working on a "replacement" for the VGAP movie maker utility, and am at the point where some feedback would be good. The idea is that it'll run at the end of each host phase & record all pertinent info. Then the host can later run the utility to create a movie of some form (more later) using the recorded data.

Here are some of the things I'm aiming for:

Movie Maker
  • Record everything needed turn-by-turn (hull info, planet location, etc), so addons that modify any such info are automatically supported
  • Ability to scale the output image/movie to desired size
  • Ability to output a given portion of the map only (min/max map X/Y configurable, in other words)
  • Ability to output an image of a single turn (JPG/BMP/etc)
  • Ability to create animated GIF of turn X - turn Y.
  • Configurable race colors (planet, minefield, webmine, ships all configurable independently); host-side for images, player-side for movie files
  • Change ship display image/size depending on both mass & type (freighter/beams-only/torper/carrier), similar to Echoview
  • Create movie file of turn X - turn Y for use in viewer app
  • Optional legend/key for race colors/turn #/etc
  • Ability to show alliance data turn-by-turn
Viewer App:
  • Windows-based app
  • Zoom in & out of image; panning of large images
  • Click on a location & get a list of everything there (all ships,mines,etc -- like Echoview)
  • Configurable colors (see above)
  • Turn on/off display of items at will (race N ships, mines, etc)
  • Configurable play speed / pause feature / "goto turn N" / other timeline nav controls
Another alternative/addition to the viewing app I've pondered is a DHTML version that uses XML turn data to draw turns right in your browser. That'll probably be the last method done, however, if it's done at all.

As an example, I've got basic image & GIF output working. I ran a game 90 turns w/ all Q-players & output that data. Here's a portion of turn 75 @ a 1:1 ratio:

And here's an animated gif of turns 1-90 @ 1:4 quarter scale:

So, any thoughts/changes/additions/suggestions/comments/whatever? I figure best to get them now while they'd be easier to implement!

Oh, and the bit in this forum's description about DailyPlanet also being a VPNews replacement -- yes, that's on the burner too, but not until the movie side is squared away. So let's stick to movie talk for now.

Thanks, look forward to hearing what everyone thinks!

Klauser

Post#2 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:46 pm

Great work.

That animated GIF by itself makes me a happy camper!!

The Turn 75 1x1 shot is very sharp, but I noticed one thing. I assume the triangles are ships. If so, what's the difference between the large and small triangles. More than one ship at a location? If you have more than one race's ship at a location, how does the app display it??

Thanks for all your effort on our behalf!!
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

B A N E

Post#3 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:47 pm

=P~
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Gilgamesh

Post#4 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:19 pm

Ricki at RCWorld Universe uses something similar for movies of ended games. Not sure what it is he has there but it's a lot of fun to watch at the end of a game.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#5 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:31 pm

RCWorld uses VGAP Movie maker.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

warpedboard

Post#6 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:20 am

Klauser wrote:Great work.

That animated GIF by itself makes me a happy camper!!

The Turn 75 1x1 shot is very sharp, but I noticed one thing. I assume the triangles are ships. If so, what's the difference between the large and small triangles. More than one ship at a location? If you have more than one race's ship at a location, how does the app display it??

Thanks for all your effort on our behalf!!
Right now, freighters are circles, beam-only ships are squares, torpships are triangles, and carriers are diamonds. The size of the shape is dependent on the ship's mass -- I've got steps at 0-200, 201-400, and 400+ right now.
As-is, the ships are drawn from low to high id, so the final output if a bunch are at the same location will depend on that & the final shape of each ship. I'm planning on making it so ships orbiting a world will "stack", meaning that for each additional race orbiting a world, their circle denoting a ship will be just past the previous races (if that makes sense).
I'm not sure of a better way to display multiple ships @ the same location, especially in the middle of space; I'd just figured that you could click on a location & see a list of what else is there too. I suppose if you zoomed in far enough you could have enough room for each map coord to show a fleet separately; I don't know, those sort of ideas are why I'm posting now :)

warpedboard

Post#7 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:23 am

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:RCWorld uses VGAP Movie maker.
Yeah, that's what I'm loosely basing this on. I've only seen the demo movie Havok has to go by, but that's the general idea I'm following. Differences, so far as I can tell, are that I want to 1) make the full version free, 2) update to run in Windows, 3) combine w/ VPNews-ish (but much enhanced) as mentioned in another forum, 4) have ability to make animated GIFs, and possibly 5) have a version that runs entirely in a browser (that one's still very much up in the air, so if you come back and reread this a few months from now you might find I've edited ever mentioning such a thing out :lol: )

Gilgamesh

Post#8 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:42 am

warpedboard wrote:
Yeah, that's what I'm loosely basing this on. I've only seen the demo movie Havok has to go by, but that's the general idea I'm following. Differences, so far as I can tell, are that I want to 1) make the full version free, 2) update to run in Windows, 3) combine w/ VPNews-ish (but much enhanced) as mentioned in another forum, 4) have ability to make animated GIFs, and possibly 5) have a version that runs entirely in a browser (that one's still very much up in the air, so if you come back and reread this a few months from now you might find I've edited ever mentioning such a thing out :lol: )
There - now it's documented in a post you can't edit! 8)

Sounds great!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

warpedboard

Post#9 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:53 am

Gilgamesh wrote:
There - now it's documented in a post you can't edit! 8)

Sounds great!
Notice who's a moderator/admin for the forums?... :twisted:

Gilgamesh

Post#10 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:34 am

Now we see the abuse of power inherent in the system.

Help - I'm being repressed....
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#11 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:52 am

I spoke to him about that a year ago. He said his was custom, not the VGAP Movie Maker by William Barath.
Regards,
][avok

warpedboard

Post#12 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:41 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Now we see the abuse of power inherent in the system.

Help - I'm being repressed....
And the peasant will NOT rejoice! :twisted:

Gilgamesh

Post#13 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:37 pm

QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#14 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:43 am

Havok wrote:
I spoke to him about that a year ago. He said his was custom, not the VGAP Movie Maker by William Barath.
I thought he told me a while ago that it was VGAP Movie Maker. I guess I was wrong, but then again, I've slept a few times since then too.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

warpedboard

Post#15 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:14 am

Small update... adding/clarifying a few things w/ the visuals (still GIF/JPG output only, working on app viewer).
  • Ships now show a heading line, displaying where they're headed next & making it easier to track a given ship.
  • Cleaned up web mine display a bit to better differentiate from regular mines
Here's a gif illustrating the above points (and showing the ability to output just a portion of the map -- this is 1500,1500 - 2500,2500 @ 1:4 scale).
Thoughts/suggestions/harassments?

Return to “Project 4: Daily Planet”