Dream Client for VGAP

This forum is for discussion of the open source Java VGA Planets Client (JVC) software by Lars Dam.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Cherek

Post#31 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:25 am

hennef wrote:hmm, your JVC is working nicely, but the battlesim is rubbish. also it just got completely wrong after i set one ship to gorn..... and the fed-bonus has had no effect at all.

good work so far =D> :woot:
How did you fix the could not find main class issue?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#32 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:39 am

Maybe using Java 1.6 make a difference. Here at work, we are using 1.3.

GEEZ :roll:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

the.Ant

Post#33 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:40 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote: Since I haven't tried JVC before, does JVC keep a record of all ship and planet histories in a game like EchoView?
I don't know about comparison to Echoview, JVC has a ship tracker which shows you all ships (when and where they were last seen). It does not offer a list of planets, but every information about the planets is visible in the map and you can go back to previous turns to see what has changed. The new does however have a list of all star bases and their current orders.
Also, if you order a ship at a base, JVC shows you how much resources are left after you have build it. You can select the ship you would like to build next so that you can see which resources are missing.

And yes, you need Java 1.6 for it, that also solved Hennef's problem.

Cherek

Post#34 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:57 pm

EchoView keeps a history of any ship or planet scanned from turn 1 to teh current turn. Ship histories include name, hull type, ID, speed and location, speed and if you fought it, it will tell you weapons type, the amount of damage. The same for planets and starbases.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#35 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:32 pm

JVC history is not that complex as Echoview, but we would most likely look at adding all this nice things from Echoview after Stefan Open Sourced his code.

hennef

Post#36 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:27 pm

BitMask wrote:JVC history is not that complex as Echoview, but we would most likely look at adding all this nice things from Echoview after Stefan Open Sourced his code.

this would be extronormofantastically splendid.... because JVC history is crap!
have fun!

hennef

hennef

Post#37 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:42 pm

hey BitMask,

in previous versions one could change the type and size of markers like ships over planets, planets, etc. is this still possible? i do not find such an option right now....
have fun!

hennef

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#38 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:40 pm

hennef wrote:hey BitMask,

in previous versions one could change the type and size of markers like ships over planets, planets, etc. is this still possible? i do not find such an option right now....
It should be there. I did not remove anything (perhaps by accident only :D )
I've got those diff. marker type under User Markers.

hennef

Post#39 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:08 pm

BitMask wrote:
hennef wrote:hey BitMask,

It should be there. I did not remove anything (perhaps by accident only :D )
I've got those diff. marker type under User Markers.
no, thats not what i meant. I thought about the shape of the normal things, like ships in open space or ships over planets. you could jsut increase or decrease their size and per example make all ships in open space small rings instead of dots.... or am i missing that? i am good at missing things atm :P
have fun!

hennef

the.Ant

Post#40 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:40 am

Two issues I encountered so far with build 60

In the control panel when you see a list of ships over a planet or so, everything is the same colour (black).

In my old version, enemy ships were marked red. Not that I would mistake enemy ships for my own, but it makes it easier to get a quick overview.

Second issue, the "show connection" marker does not show all connections. Don't know why, but some (very few) are missing. If I see such a missing connection and click show connections again, they show up but when I scroll in or out, they disappear again

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#41 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:21 am

the.Ant wrote:Two issues I encountered so far with build 60

In the control panel when you see a list of ships over a planet or so, everything is the same colour (black).

In my old version, enemy ships were marked red. Not that I would mistake enemy ships for my own, but it makes it easier to get a quick overview.

Second issue, the "show connection" marker does not show all connections. Don't know why, but some (very few) are missing. If I see such a missing connection and click show connections again, they show up but when I scroll in or out, they disappear again
Your first issue with the color I have as well.
Is is specific markers? If so which ones? Or does it change each time?

I'm still finding all the places in the code, so you guys much have to be patient a little while :)

wasp

Post#42 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:06 am

Hi

when i try to launch it, by double clicking a picture saying "the java vga planets client" appears and it doesn't go away.

If i run java jvc in a command prompt it says:

C:\RICARDO\backup pen 2008-05-03\VGAP\pla\vgap35>java jvc
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: jvc
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: jvc
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)

when i go to a command prompt and type java -version it shows:

java version "1.6.0_05"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_05-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b19, mixed mode, sharing)

I have FORMS and REPORTS from ORACLE installed and they have some java machines as well, but on the PATH i've placed this directory first :
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin;

What is wrong???
How can i fix it?

Thank you

Ricardo Carvalho

the.Ant

Post#43 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:43 am

Don't know about your specific problem, but try experimenting with java options...
Maybe you need to specifiy that it's a jar file, but I don't know about windows.

I get best results when starting from command prompt with

Code: Select all

java -Xms200m -Xmx600m -jar jvc.jar

the.Ant

Post#44 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:53 am

Is is specific markers? If so which ones? Or does it change each time?

Found the problem, it's the marker from the ship tracker plugin.
It shows routes which a ship took last turn in a very dark red, not well visible on my screen. If this is a direct route planet to planet, its displayed above the planet connection. Because it's such a dark colour, it looked to me as it would have disappeared. Would be great to make that an option or to be able to choose a different colour.
I'm still finding all the places in the code, so you guys much have to be patient a little while :)
No hurry, I've waited for year for someone to fix bugs in this program, it's already a great improvement!

wasp

Post#45 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:55 am

Well, it works with -jar jvc.jar. What are the other options for?

Nevertheless it should work by double clicking.
Is there any debug file i can send you?

Ricardo Carvalho

Return to “Project 5: Open Source Java VGA Planets Client”