VGA Frustration

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

wyvern

VGA Frustration

Post#1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:33 am

Having just read the post about newbie games and mentoring, it started me thinking about another kind of game I would like to see.

To me the most frustrating games to play in are those where multiple players quit. They play for a while and perhaps are not happy with their location, beginning planets or neighbors and they QUIT. Depending upon who, when and where it can significantly alter the balance of the game. Not to mention it is really no fun killing the Q.

I have lost in many games, but I have also found it enjoyable to make my enemy earn his victory. I try to inflict as much pain as possible. There are so many things you can do even when being overrun to deny the enemy an easy time. And do you not owe this to the other players on the board?

In addition, when you look at the players who quit, they will typically be in multiple other games. And guess what, they have time to turn in their turns in the other games.

I would propose a series of No Quit games be set up by Havoc instead of the No Frills games. If you decide to join, you also decide to play the game out. If someone quits, perhaps they could be banned from future No Quit games. It could be tried at first with no penalty, relying on the honor of the player joining.

I will point out one of the basic problems with VGA which is understood by veterans but probably not newer players. When you first join a game turns take minutes. It makes you want to join more games. However, when you get into the mid game, turns can take hours. So if you have to begin three games simultaneously, you can be setting yourself up for a burden down the road. Which is exactly why you will not find wyvern playing in more than two games at any one time.

wyvern

Rimstalker

Post#2 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:12 pm

the Rimstalker is currently (albeit slowly) gathering players for a invite-only, no ally, no quitters game.

Tlist, no cloak or rob fail, rare universe, no addons (possibly exploremap, or teleport, if players can agree on it).
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

JonnyDoH

Post#3 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:03 pm

I'd be down for a no quitters game. I can't recall if I've ever quit from a game and if you'll check my turn reliability, I haven't missed a single turn.

That said, I doubt I'll be invited to Rimstalker's game, nor would I be interested if no cloaking is allowed since many races rely on that for their special abilities. Just sayin'.
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

Rimstalker

Post#4 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:45 pm

reading comprehension is not your strongest skill, huh?

cloak FAIL.

JonnyDoH

Post#5 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Rimstalker wrote: ... no cloak or rob fail...
I can't help it if the original text is flawed and can be interpreted that way.
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

Hawkeye

Post#6 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:49 pm

JonnyDoH wrote:
Rimstalker wrote: ... no cloak or rob fail...
I can't help it if the original text is flawed and can be interpreted that way.
"Reading fail" :twisted:

Cardno

Post#7 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Rimstalker wrote:the Rimstalker is currently (albeit slowly) gathering players for a invite-only, no ally, no quitters game.

Tlist, no cloak or rob fail, rare universe, no addons (possibly exploremap, or teleport, if players can agree on it).
My god - your like the Fonz talking about himself in the third person....

ARE you in fact, Henry Wrinkler??

Tei

Post#8 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:11 pm

Rimstalker wrote:reading comprehension is not your strongest skill, huh?

cloak FAIL.
You're showing off your superior multiple language skills!
America = Land of the Immigrant

:pointlaugh:

It could be interpreted both ways. I understood, then again I have to understand Chinglish every day at work...

Siberian Snake

Post#9 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:41 am

Rimstalker wrote:the Rimstalker is currently (albeit slowly) gathering players for a invite-only, no ally, no quitters game.

If it is Timhost, you may consider me.

Siberian Snake

Havok
Site Admin

Post#10 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:54 am

Is this a game you want to run here?
Regards,
][avok

Rimstalker

Post#11 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:45 pm

si senor!

and you are very welcome, Siberian Snake.

Smoke

Post#12 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Wish I wasn't in too many games at the moment ... and I hope this trend continue. I'd sure like to play in games where no one quits.

Smoke

Diamondback

Post#13 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:40 pm

I think a no quitters game setup is a great idea. It's a big let down to have massive quitters. Case in point...Blind Headhunter. Down to 3 players in 26 turns. Several players were in and still are in others games. Just as you pointed out Rimstalker.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#14 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:24 am

Diamondback wrote:I think a no quitters game setup is a great idea. It's a big let down to have massive quitters. Case in point...Blind Headhunter. Down to 3 players in 26 turns. Several players were in and still are in others games. Just as you pointed out Rimstalker.
Speaking of BHH I am absolutely perplexed as to what happened there.
Regards,
][avok

Diamondback

Post#15 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:05 am

Me too! I've never seen a game empty out so fast. All I can think of is perhaps the explorer map and the 75 turn game end. Explorer games tend to start out slower due to hunting out planets. I like explorer map games although they do give hyp races an early advantage to see more space faster. Still we started losing players fast for no reason as far as I know.

Return to “Game Suggestions”