Rebel Vs privs

Here you will find the VGA Planets veterans helping out new players. This is a great place to learn battle tactics, logistics and more.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Hawkeye

Re: Rebel Vs privs

Post#16 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:22 am

Rimstalker wrote: Of course, this is where the 2nd part with alternating mass comes in, which hopefully allows you to catch his lowest ID ship ;). But then again, the Priv can gamble on his tower having low crew so that it gets captured and can be stolen back :P
Still peddling that varying-mass theory eh Rimsey? You might want to take a look at this

http://www.planetmaker.de/vgap/wiki/pmw ... .DacianTow

Rimstalker

Post#17 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:15 am

come one Hawkeye. I was answering questions on the alt.games.vga-planets newsgroup in the last millenium - do you really think I was/am not aware of Dacian?
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

FireAge

Post#18 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:04 pm

But that is just part of the fun to be had with the Orion. Because the Dacian is quite simplified.
In fact, why limit yourself to 1 fuel? If you build a proper calculator, your options become quite impressive.

For instance, suppose your MCRB with Mk8 and HP wants to tow an Annihilation he knows nothing about.
The lightest version of the Annihilation has no weapons and torps tubes, 1 fuel and no cargo: 961 mass
The heaviest version of the Annihilation has heavy blasters and gamma tubes, 320 fuel and 1260 cargo: 2650 mass
You can tow this Annihilation in any possible configuration with no risk between 2 - 64 ly, using 1 - 35 fuel.
(http://phost.de/~stefan/fuelusage.html#dry)

Now what I'm wondering about, as this tactic does not work in PHost, does the 1 fuel Dacian trick work in PHost?
Guess I've got some tests to do :)

Rimstalker

Post#19 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:54 pm

haha, time for some humble pie. I take anything back I said, and will read that article on stefan's page once I'm sober

FireAge

Post#20 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:12 am

Ah, so that's why the page section is named dry ;)

Sinner

Post#21 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:49 am

Rimstalker wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Sinner wrote:I had 2 x Rush both with 1000+fuel 100+ fighters mission towing Id #45 and one towing #53 both towing Rushes had PE=Privs.

Privs managed to tow a Rush even though their mission was towing the IDs mentione above.

Uhhhhh.... I suspect you may not understand the tow rules. You need to get the low ID ships to tow the Rushes, not the other way around. The reason for this is that the tow order is done by ship ID, therefore having your low ID ships doing the towing means they will move off the planet before the priv ships (with higher ID) get the chance to tow you. Having the Rushes doing the towing will only work if the Rush itself has a low ID (or at least a lower ID than the towing priv ship). If the priv sees you doing this however, he'll probably just bring in his lowest ID cloaker to tow off your towers, thus opening up the Rushes to the higher ID priv towers.
Of course, this is where the 2nd part with alternating mass comes in, which hopefully allows you to catch his lowest ID ship ;). But then again, the Priv can gamble on his tower having low crew so that it gets captured and can be stolen back :P
Thanks for the Tow ID# explanation

That may have been the case I had the Rush #30 towing sh#45 in this case a big ship and I didnt see the ID of the Privs Ship. but even still in this case Rush 1500KT+ towing Sh#45 1300KT to me that means the MBR would have to tow 2800KT approx.

Doesnt that mean the MBR would have to brake the tow of the Rush.

Thanks Sinner
Up here in space, I'm looking down on you
My Lasers trace, Everything you do
There is no true escape
I'm watching all the time

Rimstalker

Post#22 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:07 am

there are no tow-chains in planets.

one ships tows another ship. First ship to successfully lock a towbeam gets to tow the ship. _possibly_ you can tow into the warpwell, get dragged back and be towed again, too lazy to check that right now

Sinner

Post#23 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:27 am

Hi all

Thanks very much for your input sounds like the rebels dont have lot of defence against the Privs.

Your comments and hints have given me alot more to think about

Regards Sinner
Up here in space, I'm looking down on you
My Lasers trace, Everything you do
There is no true escape
I'm watching all the time

Return to “Mentoring”