Game suggestion

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Hawkeye

Game suggestion

Post#1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 am

How's this for a game suggestion:

A Circus-Maximus invitational where the 10 best players as chosen by Havok plus one wildcard player compete for bragging rights. Players agree on a fight to the death, races are randomly allocated to each player, players to decide when game is finished, complete xenophobia - no allies, trading, NAPs or assistance of any kind (every man for himself). Suggest a round-shaped map, random-normal planets, minimal add-ons, but ultimately Havok to come up with the overall design.

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Game suggestion

Post#2 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:30 am

Kinda did that a while back with the original Pit game if I remember correctly.
Regards,
][avok

Hawkeye

Post#3 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:13 am

This one's a bit different - a special invitational game rather than open for anyone to join in, randomly allocated races, xenophobia, no quitting etc.

Cardno

Post#4 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:21 am

Hawkeye wrote:This one's a bit different - a special invitational game rather than open for anyone to join in, randomly allocated races, xenophobia, no quitting etc.
yeah and you dropped out of that one at turn 50 Hawkeye....just seying..... ;)

Donovan

Post#5 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:32 pm

Havok wrote:Kinda did that a while back with the original Pit game if I remember correctly.
I think it was the 300 game. The first Pit was not invitational for the best players, it was just won by the best players :lol:

Rimstalker

Post#6 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:27 pm

yep, it was 300, didn't start full, and people dropped out. I'd be reluctant to start another one
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Rimstalker wrote:yep, it was 300, didn't start full, and people dropped out. I'd be reluctant to start another one

That's what it was and you're correct Rimstalker. For reasons unknown some players in the first invitation list I made didn't get in... So I made a second list and we got some of those people involved. Not sure if the game filled or not by the first turn but people dropped and the game ended on turn 85.

http://www.circus-maximus.com/AutoTroll/game300.htm

On the flip side Hawkeye. If you want to have a custom game setup and invite people, we can do that. LMK what you want to setup and we'll need a list players which you will need to put together.
Regards,
][avok

wasp

Post#8 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Even if you fight each other and kill each other, there will be a turn where you are too far away from someone to fight . Basically how every vgap game ends... and one of my many complains.

What i wanted was a chance to fight and not only concentrating on the economics/building part of the game...

Anyway to do that?
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

Rimstalker

Post#9 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:24 pm

slugfest? I remember this one game, I was allied to the Bots, his main enemy were the Borg, which had taken a lead in tonnage sunk, and then just kept on retreating, never giving battle. Victory condition was most kts sunk, so in the very last turn he just turned about 50 golems over to me without fighters and attacked with golems full of fighters, he had 84 vcrs or so :)
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Burnerboy

Post#10 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:26 pm

wasp wrote:Even if you fight each other and kill each other, there will be a turn where you are too far away from someone to fight . Basically how every vgap game ends... and one of my many complains.

What i wanted was a chance to fight and not only concentrating on the economics/building part of the game...

Anyway to do that?
I also miss the "Good old days" when games were fought to the end. Most now are score based, and combat is not really necessary. I'm in a game where the second place player has 150kt of kills for the entire game. :shock:

Havok
Site Admin

Post#11 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 pm

You know it's funny to see things said like "running until the end". I try to do that here and there, usually with the Daily Destruction game or a random NF game... But the games end. It's not like the days of BBS's (anyone remember that) or the early days of the Net unfortunately.

Does anyone recall No Frills 7? The game ran for over 2 years and 320+ turns before it concluded. That's a one in a million game these days, certainly the longest that's ever run on CM. Nothing else here has come close to my recollection.

If you all would like to see more tonnage based games, or even Tim based scenario type stuff I'm ready to make it happen, always have been. I've always tried to cater to what the players want, and outside of a small subset, most want plain old NF type games... I've got a bunch of registered Mod's ready to go. Just say the word.
Regards,
][avok

Captain Blood

Post#12 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:52 am

Rimstalker wrote:slugfest? I remember this one game, I was allied to the Bots, his main enemy were the Borg, which had taken a lead in tonnage sunk, and then just kept on retreating, never giving battle. Victory condition was most kts sunk, so in the very last turn he just turned about 50 golems over to me without fighters and attacked with golems full of fighters, he had 84 vcrs or so :)
Probably the reason no one want to play with tonnage score, some players don´t understand the spirit of it.
Regards,

Captain Blood

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#13 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:57 am

wasp wrote:Even if you fight each other and kill each other, there will be a turn where you are too far away from someone to fight . Basically how every vgap game ends... and one of my many complains.

Anyway to do that?
The way I see you can do this is to create a few smaller games with say 4 players and 181 planets. Bash it out and the winners of each get to a "next round" game. A mini tournament type thing. (Would be nice if each player can move to the new game along with his ships :twisted: )

Burnerboy

Post#14 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:53 am

Havok wrote:You know it's funny to see things said like "running until the end". I try to do that here and there, usually with the Daily Destruction game or a random NF game... But the games end. It's not like the days of BBS's (anyone remember that) or the early days of the Net unfortunately.

Does anyone recall No Frills 7? The game ran for over 2 years and 320+ turns before it concluded. That's a one in a million game these days, certainly the longest that's ever run on CM. Nothing else here has come close to my recollection.

If you all would like to see more tonnage based games, or even Tim based scenario type stuff I'm ready to make it happen, always have been. I've always tried to cater to what the players want, and outside of a small subset, most want plain old NF type games... I've got a bunch of registered Mod's ready to go. Just say the word.
Yeah, I know. I'm going back 10 to 15 years. Make me feel old. That's ok.

Ron

Captain Blood

Post#15 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:43 pm

BitMask wrote: The way I see you can do this is to create a few smaller games with say 4 players and 181 planets. Bash it out and the winners of each get to a "next round" game. A mini tournament type thing. (Would be nice if each player can move to the new game along with his ships :twisted: )
Think we found out that bringing ships forward to a new battle/game is not a good idea.

Regarding the lenght of the games, i think they might last longer if there was less minerals, reducing the efficience of the Merlin might be a good idea as well. Most races have trouble attacking with maxed starbases on all enemy planets.

To get back to the game suggestion i think a game like was originally suggested here would be interesting to play lasting like 100 turns. No need for a lot of changes, but perhaps some sort of circle map.
Regards,

Captain Blood

Return to “Game Suggestions”